Joe’s Mini Heartstart For Sports Lifesaving Course Syllabus
(JMHS4S) is a lifesaving course that is free to sports clubs, takes only two hours and provides practical, hands-on training.
Anyone at a sports club from the age of 13 can attend and learn the complete range of life-saving skills.
The course is divided into two stages.
STAGE 1 INCLUDES:
Learning practical skills using a hands-on approach, such as the recovery position and performing CPR. Learning these skills gives trainees more confidence in an emergency.
The Chain of Survival – the priorities
- Checking for danger, patient response and making a 999/112 call
- Checking breathing / getting help.
- The conscious casualty
- Opening the airway / the recovery position
- The unconscious casualty
- Cardiac arrest: chest compressions and rescue breathing (CPR).
STAGE 2 INCLUDES:
Topics such as recognising and dealing with a heart attack and how to use a defibrillator.
- Suspected heart attack
- Signs and symptoms/ dealing with a suspected heart attack.
- Introduction to AEDs
- Choking recognition/back blows/abdominal thrusts.
- Summary of course / giving out certificates