Significant activities and achievements 2013
- Set up, equipped and established a Trust in line with the charity commission's key protocol and standards.
- Organised the first Leicester (and National) Conference of Medics and related professionals to share knowledge and expertise on SADS, including future research into reducing effects.
- Undertaken a Public Awareness campaign to raise awareness about Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome (SADS) including use of social media (web/facebook/Twitter) and produced 'Hands On' school training video, involving patron Martin Johnson and pupils from De Lisle College, to drive key messages across local, regional, UK and International communities.
- Established links with many community partners and supporters e.g. Kasabian, Leicester rock band to 'break the silence' on SADS – deadly subtle heart diseases that can also effect teenagers and young adults ( 12 – 35 years old); and staged the first ever Leicester-shire SADS Awareness Week in October 2013.
- Undertaken a campaign in Primary and Secondary schools in Leicester and Leicestershire to promote SADS awareness, British Heart Foundation Schools Heartstart affiliation and acquisition of Automated External Defibrillators (AED).
- Provided an AED for De Lisle College (Joe's school) and supported the College in training students in Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and AED Appreciation.
- Installed Public Access AED on Cross Green, Rothley (in the Bus Shelter).
- Donated a Public Access AED to the village of Quorn (to be located in phone box) to further develop the Soar Valley as a 'Heartsafe' area.
- Contributed funds and co chairing project to enable recruitment of a Coordinator for a Multi Agency programme, Leicestershire Secondary Schools Heartsafe Programme, to ensure every secondary school in Leicester and Leicestershire has an AED and all students leaving secondary education have received training in Emergency Life Saving skills.
- Started 'Joe Mini Heartstart' scheme at Aylestone Park JFC to provide CPR and AED training in Sports Clubs in Leicester and Leicestershire.
- Started a programme to support the placement of Community AEDs by the delivery of Emergency Life Saving Skills within the community, initially in the Soar Valley area.
- Taken preliminary steps towards setting up the JHMT Inspire Awards Scheme.
- Supported the creation of a Photographic Club and annual Joe's photography competition at De Lisle College.
Highlights of our fundraising activities are as follows:
- A variety of fundraising activities held by local schools as part of their community days including De Lisle Catholic Academy, Stonehill, Longslade.
- A variety of fundraising activities held by local companies including Shoezone and Nationwide Building Society.
- Fundraising dinners attended by our patron Martin Johnson where part of the funds were donated to the JHMT including An Aussie Summer.
- A variety of awareness raising events including having stalls at events such as The Barrolympixs and The Wymeswold Show.
- Over 11 different events where participants raised sponsorship for the JHMT including The Leicester Marathon, The Rothley 10k, a skydive and a Kilimanjaro climb.
- A fantastically successful community launch in Rothley to allow the public to find out who the JHMT are and what we are planning to do. This was attended by around 800 people with great media coverage.
- A range of events including A Show for Joe, Party in the Park and the Rutland 624 cycle ride which also helped raise awareness by cycling 1 mile for every child that dies as a result of SADS every year in the UK.
- The first annual JHMT Charity Shield football Tournament.
- The first SADS awareness week which incorporated a wide range of activities, awareness events, community CPR training and media coverage.
- The first annual photography competition was held at De Lisle Catholic Academy to launch the photography club funded by the JHMT as part of Joe's legacy.